Friday, January 7, 2011

On Not Giving a Fuck

I figure that one of the keys to life is to not care about certain things. I'm not saying to walk around with a "I don't give-a-fuck" attitude; quite the contrary. I think it's important to care about that which we are committed to, among other things. But sometimes it's good to not give a fuck. Like when it comes to art, I'm going to express myself as authentically and powerfully as I can, and I don't give a fuck how it's received by the world. That might sound ignorant, but I think it's actually quite empowering. "For example," someone may say, "you should care how it's received, because you want people to get it and have it impact them and ultimately buy it..." etc. And that someone would be right, I do want all those things. But the moment I put any of those concerns before the authenticity of my art, I compromise the integrity of myself as an artist. I am a person who has chosen to be an artist in the world, and therefore if I compromise my artistic integrity, I compromise my integrity as a human being. Does that sound like a jump in logic, like some kind of fallacious reasoning? You can compute it yourself - as far as I'm concerned it's sound and valid. In other words, I don't give a fuck if it's actually a logically valid or sound argument. The point is, it works for me. And if it works, then why would I give a fuck about trying to fix it?

No comments:

Post a Comment