Sunday, November 6, 2011

On the Possibility of Peace

I've spent the past few weeks arguing with many people and debating both sides of the issues surrounding the ongoing conflict in Israel. I have concluded that the blame-game and the right/wrong debate is absolutely useless in this matter, as it often is. There are certain perspectives and interpretations that neither side will likely ever give up.

There needs to be a new type of dialogue being fostered that concerns only the possibility of peace and the things congruent with that possibility. Our way of talking about the issues needs to change before the transformation will take place in reality. It starts with the conversation, and the conversation needs to take on new dimensions to be productive. As Albert Einstein once said: “Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them.”

How to foster such a type of conversation in the minds and hearts of those who are filled with hatred seems to be a monumental task, and where to begin this task I do not know. I will start with myself and the way I talk to people. I hope in doing so others will be inspired to do the same.

(January, 2009).

No comments:

Post a Comment