Friday, February 3, 2012

60 Bars (You Ain't Hip Hop) - Video + Q&A




Written and performed by MC FÜBB.
Produced by Noyz.
Video shot and edited by Neil Austen.
Additional footage by Slick Nick.

60 Bars (You Ain't Hip Hop) is track #3 off of MC FÜBB's album, "In the Face of No Agreement" (aka ITFONA), (produced exclusively by Noyz): http://mcfubb.bandcamp.com/album/in-the-face-of-no-agreement

A little Q&A with Toronto hip hop MC/rapper MC FÜBB about his latest video, “60 Bars (You Ain’t Hip Hop)":

Q: Your music is often so positive and uplifting…why are you so angry on this track?

A: I guess that sometimes I get really pissed off with what I see and hear in the world of hip hop, specifically rap music. A lot of rappers say that they’re real and they’re dope and represent hip hop, but the second they get off stage or off the mic, it’s clear that their words and actions don’t match up. I know that I could easily get really cynical about it, or even start beefing with people…so instead I made a track about it to get it off my chest.

Q: Is this song directed at anyone specifically?

A: It’s more an expression of a generalized perspective I have on the rap scene. It’s safe to say this song is directed at a sizeable portion of rappers out there.

Q: The instrumental sounds pretty dark and intense. Did it influence your writing on “60 Bars”?

A: When I got this beat from Noyz, it felt so raw to me. I knew I was going to have to rip it. I just started writing, and I could feel a lot of my frustration coming out. I didn’t want to just come across as being Mr. Angry Rapper and say “fuck all ya’ll,” so I took my time with it and did my best to convey my feelings and observations in a thoughtful and relatable way, without compromising the rawness of the track.

Q: Why are you burning CDs and smashing laptops at the end of the video?

A: Because it’s fun! Seriously though…I get handed CDs all the time and constantly have heads asking me to check out their video or their new track. Sometimes I come across some really dope stuff. I’d say at least 80% of the time though, it’s pretty awful music. So I burned a bunch of CDs and smashed a laptop that was playing a wack song to symbolize that

Q: What is that song playing at the end of the video, right before you smash the laptop? Who is the artist?

A: This interview is OVER.




No comments:

Post a Comment